Thursday, December 21, 2006

Book Recap - Marathon Running

I finished reading the book Marathon Running - The Complete Training Guide by Richard Nerurkar who is world class runner with a few great marathon titles during the 80's and 90's. The book is an easy read and he does a great job at telling his professional career as he goes from chapter to chapter. Along the way he throws in the how to's to of building up to the marathon distance. I felt it was a beginner book with some advice for the advanced runner. The reading is good to follow because of his story and how he trained. How complete it is? Well, depends on if your looking for training programs, which he does a couple in the back of the book with standard stretches, but if your looking for in depth programs you won't find them here. Overall, I liked the book and it's amazing to see how fast these guys can run, in training or in races. I mean Marathons ran at 2:02-04 is truly remarkable and with "slow" races performed at 2:08-10. My new book which I started last night is called Earth's Final Days. But after several pages I just couldn't get into it so I switched to Murder Machine about the Mafia!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking for something new. =)