Sunday, February 10, 2008

the long run..

Yesterday was my last long run before LA Marathon so that means it's Taper time now! To kick it off I had to complete a good long run and since I have been sick all this week and did absolutly nothing it was going to be interesting to see how things come together. I set out from my parents house which is on the west side of Vegas. I have run around there many times before and I knew that there is a lot of gradual and steep hills depending on where you are out. I decided that I needed a lot of varity in the couse on this long run to help overall and I because it was long run I wanted to stay in town near many stores and bathrooms for convienence.

The day was to be warmer than usual which was fine with me because I am thinking that LA is going to be about the same conditions and wanted to get a feel for 60's temps since I have not felt that since Miami back in December. As I started out there is a lot of down hill and it was easy to run about my planned pace so I had to watch myself. I started well with the gels and nutrition and early morning breakfast was good.

After the 3.5 mile mark the course turns up hill from about 2600ft elevation to 2800ft. at mile 5. It's not really steep but a long steady climbing and I was able to maintain my pace without blowing up my HR. After mile 5 my course levels out around the 2800ft for a mile then begins climbing from mile 6 (2800ft) to mile 9 at 3050ft. again Long steady climbs with a couple of short steeper ones but mostly steady. By mile 9 I was still feeling good and HR was still working with me. Once I hit the 10.5 mile mark is was time to turn around! Yahoo and head back.

On the way back I stopped and had to do a little Prevent Defense as I could feel one of my toes rubbing and wanted to stop and future blisters. This was a good time to refuel, get some fig newtons (Bigun) and take just a few minute breather. Once I was back on the road I was feeling great. I saw my dad out running (he is training for the San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon and is a young 62 years old, Go Dad!) We stopped at my mile 12.75 and things were feeling great. By this time I had started some of that long gradual climing and now it was down hill. Funny thing now I had a slight head wind and was not really gaining any benefits from the down hill, figures!!

Around mile 16 I was beginning to feel tired and started to make sure I was taking in enough fluids/gels. I was a little behind. By mile 17 the down hill part was over and now it was time for some uphill which I was not in the mood for and neither were my Quads or my HR, as it decided to do it's own thing now bringing me to walk/slowing more than I wanted. The pace I had set out for was now slipping away :(

After mile 17 I really had to take some time and just walk for a while, refuel and walk some of that uphill. At 18 I stopped stretched really good and then was off running again for about a mile but was once again stopped by HR and Quads. (These bastards are working together now and now listening to me) I am at the part in the course where there was a lot of down hill at the beginning and had to watch the pace but now that is definetly not a factor. It's walk/jog/walk. Finally by mile 20 I arrive back at the start ever so missing

as that was my goal for the day.

My quads are toast for any more running, although I was doing just fine walking but that really kills the overall pace, ya know.

Overall I was disappointed in the last long run. Yes, I have been sick all this week. Yes, there was a lot of uphill/downhill running so that probably smashed my quads. and Yes, I did get behind on my fluids but that did not seem to effect me but in endurnace terms I am sure it did. What did I learn? Maybe my pace is too fast and don't run anymore by West Vegas.. ha! especially since half the run was on concrete sidewalks, which probably did not help either.

Today, I feel good. Little sore but not as bad as some of the earlier runs I did leading up to this. It's all deposits into the Bank of CdA.

rockon`

7 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Nice job on the run!

Molly said...

Way to push through! In time it will be another step in the right direction!

You da man!
Take Care

Oly said...

Daaaa bank. Good luck in LA.

S. Baboo said...

Good job getting the run done. The final long run before a race is often bad, feels like crap just because you are so beat up from training. I just had a doosey of a bad long run today!

Allez said...

Don't worry about the pace, you've been sick! You did great to finish 20. That's a LONG way to run!

Bigun said...

nice one....get 'er done in a couple of weeks!

Andra Sue said...

I don't know, it sounds like a pretty good run to me--especially after being sick. You're SO set to kick ass in LA!!!